Wednesday, October 05, 2005

A Connecticut Wedding

This last weekend I spent wedding-ing. It was just one wedding, but it was a whole weekend event. A beautiful friend from college, Katrina, was marrying her lovely now-husband, Eric and it was pretty much a weekend-long kick-ass party.

They are "adventerous." They met doing Semester-At-Sea (a study abroad program where you literally sail around the world, stopping off for several days at numerous ports along the way) and just got back from a year of travelling the world. The wedding was at a summer camp near Sharon, CT and wedding activities included canoeing, swimming, volley ball, soccer, frisbee, bonfires, etc. - in addition to the normal wedding activities of a rehersal dinner, social hour, WEDDING, reception. We slept in large dorms with the 20 or so people from Rochester all in two adjoining rooms, Eric's cousins and friends from high school were in another room and so on. The wedding ceremony was at an outdoor chappel and the bridesmaids all wore matching dresses but in various fall colors (garnet, deep green, cocoa, rich orange.) It was beautiful and harvesty and quite elegant - enhanced by the natural surroundings, rustic though they were.

I think weddings are nice but this one was really fantastic. It really made me think about relationships and - here's where I get a bit cheezy - love and all in a very inspiring way. I won't wax further on this. It was just lovely and on top of that the whole weekend was very fun.

And now I find myself in Carmel, NY house-sitting for some friends and availing myself of the whole fall splendor thing. But doing it very quietly - the cell phone is off and I'm spending huge portions of the day biking alone, walking alone, knitting in the backyard, cuddling with the kitties, cooking and so on. This quiet time has been much longed for during my busy summer. E-mail and such is the one allowance to the outside world I've made. And I find myself feeling a bit irritable at that even!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home