Saturday, September 24, 2005

Cycle Oregon, Final Thoughts

Some dear friends I used to work with believe that I have been abducted and brainwashed by a freak “health & fitness” cult. They came to this conclusion about 16 months ago when I was training for a triathlon. I would do things like “go to the gym” after work instead of going to happy hour and spend whole days on the weekend engaged in some sort of athletic endeavor or other. I would also eat “healthy” food and “balanced” meals.

I used to think their viewpoint was merely amusing, but after having spent a whole week with bicycle freaks, I’m starting to see their point about the brainwashing. I found myself thinking fond thoughts of lycra and spandex – even on dudes – and the hideous jerseys cyclists consider fashionable attire started to look pretty sweet. Even the diaper butt shorts and awkward walk with cleats started to seem “normal.” And I’ve already commented on the terrible example crazy bicyclists set when it comes to injuries and whether or not to rest. If the ride had been any longer I don’t know if there would have been any saving me!

A last lingering thought – one of the best things about Cycle Oregon was that I was outside the entire time. I don’t know if I’ve ever been outside for a whole week straight. I’ve gone camping a lot, but not for a whole week. I’ve spent more than a week at the cabin, which is sort of like camping and does involve being outside a great deal, but we still have the shelter of the cabin (lack of electricity, running water and other such amenities not-withstanding.) And in both those cases one often drives somewhere on occasion or stops in at a store or lodge or something. Not on Cycle Oregon though! It was Friday (Day 6) and it was cold and raining and a bit on the miserable side. Lunch that day was at a community center (all the others were at parks along the way) and they actually served it inside and there was a large hall where people could sit and eat. Part of me welcomed the warmth but standing inside and feeling the stuffy, non-moving air I realized I hadn’t been inside anything of any sort for days! Meals were served in open-air tents, we biked outside all day, then hung around camp all evening and then slept in tents all night. It was absolutely lovely. Getting back to “civilization” I actually started to feel a bit batty at all the time I had to stay inside (to sleep, to cook, to run errands, to visit the chiropractor, to do laundry and other such chores.) And I still feel a bit batty about it. I went so far as to bring my book-binding and massage table outside!

Finally, no more Cycle Oregon posts and Wayward Princess can start on new adventures!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home